Essential tour in the North of Ethiopia with internal flights that allows to travel in a fast and comfort way the big distances that separate the monumental sites, realising the trip in the chronological direction.
It’s the ideal combination for who has short time, or travels in a small group and/or prefers to avoid long car transfers.
Axum: the capital of Ethiopian Orthodox Church, famous for the spectacular megalithic stele that prove the pre Christian roots of the great Ethiopian civilization
Lalibela: Jerusalem of Africa, well known for its monolithic rock-hewn churches so rich of symbolism, mystery and spirituality.
Gondar: Africa’s Camelot, capital city during the seventeenth-century , it’s unique thanks to its castles and particular style that is a mix between the Asian and European one.
Bahir Dar: pleasant city on the shore of the biggest lake in Ethiopia, lake Tana, that hides richly decorated monasteries in its tropical islands.
1. Addis Ababa: city tour
2. Addis Ababa-Axum: flight to Axum and city tour
3. Axum- Lalibela: Flight and beginning of the city tour
4. Lalibela: Visit of a church out of town and finish the city tour
5. Lalibela- Gondar: flight and city tour
6. Gondar- Bahir Dar: transfer and visit of Blue Nile falls
7. Bahir Dar- Addis Ababa: visit of monasteries and then flight to Addis Ababa
PERSONALIZATIONS AND EXTENSIONS
It is possible to personalize this itinerary by combining the visits with some markets or celebration of the Coptic Church, by adding a night in the pleasant locality of Gorgora and from there to arrive to Bahir Dar by boat, or extending one or two more days to visit the hidden churches of Tigray.
We also suggest the following extensions: